Pages

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Firsties' Thoughts On SLIG Experiences

Are you a first-time attendee--a “firstie--to SLIG? If you are, here are some thoughts from last year’s firsties.  If you are not, perhaps you may enjoy the enthusiasm for the upcoming SLIG 2018 experience shared with us.
All registering attendees who are returning as second-time attendees were recently contacted and asked “what [did] you enjoy the most about SLIG as a first-year attendee?”  Here are their answers.

Kathy Emmel. “I have been involved in genealogy for over 40 years, but I had never attended a genealogical conference before SLIG 2017. I took Paula Stuart-Warren’s class, Taking Your Research to the Next Level, and it set me off on an unbelievable genealogy path!

“After SLIG 2017, I joined several national and local genealogy societies …, I researched and wrote an article about my family that was published in The Colorado Genealogist, the Journal of the Colorado Genealogical Society, … I earned a Certificate in Genealogical Research from Boston University…and because of a project from that class, I have been asked to write a two-part series for my local historical society…. I should also mention that I put myself on the ProGen waiting list. I would never have done this before attending SLIG!

“I can’t wait to get there!!!”

Jenna Smith. “I accidentally enrolled in the Advanced Evidence Analysis Practicum, but I’m so glad that I did. Everything moved fast and furious, and I was exposed to new research methods, locations and sources.... We only had to attend ten hours of classes, and the rest of the work was on our own. I did love it, [and] I’m excited to come back.

“My very favorite part of SLIG 2017 was the people! I loved hearing how other advanced researchers tackled difficult problems. The instructors were friendly and approachable, especially Angela McGhie. I learned so much and felt like I had crammed a semester-long college course into one intense week."

Constance H. Knox. " I really enjoyed my week long SLIG 2017 experience.  I think one of the things I like about SLIG, is sticking to one subject all week long and getting a deep dive into the subject. The pace was perfect, breaks were timed appropriately… and… well… hello… it’s in the family history capitol of the world!  Therefore, off time was spent researching at the Family History Library, just a short walk from the hotel.  Loved meeting new friends… just every minute of it. I’m really looking forward to it.  Can’t wait!"

JoEllen Schaffer. "For my first SLIG experience, I took Advanced Genealogical Methods with Tom Jones. Oh my! The daily assignments were quite challenging, the time they consumed pretty much prevented me from having a social life after hours, and by the time I went home my brain was on overload. That being said, this class was the best genealogy education experience I have had to date and can't recommend it enough. 

"I really enjoy the five-day concentrated classroom experience more than a conference. The format focuses on a single topic and encourages us to a level of expertise that wouldn't be achievable from a single hour session at a conference."

Aaron Tassin. "Other researchers had spoken highly of the experience and mentioned SLIG specifically. Two takeaways remain with me today:  first, how friendly and inviting everyone at SLIG was, fellow attendees and instructors alike; second, it was very interesting to see how others approach the same research problems differently."

Katherine Willson. "What I enjoyed most was being able to meet for the first time those friends & colleagues whom we interact with regularly on Facebook or on the APG message list."  

Lynn Tenney. "One of the guest lecturers in my last year at IGHR recommended SLIG above the others. And boy was he was right! The quality of course coordinators, guest lecturers and subject matter available is superb. The other attendees are just as eager to learn and have thoughtful discussions. It's great to be able to learn, not only from the lecturers but also from fellow classmates.
And the opportunity to apply new learning immediately using the resources of the Family History Library just cannot be compared. While I had wonderful instructors and classes at IGHR, SLIG had equally talented instructors PLUS the FHL, great lodging and an amazing variety of restaurants available."

So there you have it, firsties--first hand enthusiasm from second year attendees. The SLIG experience is a lot of SLIG fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment