Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

SLIG Scholarship for First-Time Institute Attendees Winner - Vicky C. Lambert

The Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy is pleased to announce that Vicky C. Lambert is one of the two individuals selected for the the SLIG Scholarship for First-Time Institute Attendees for 2019.

The competition was strong and many candidates submitted worthy applications, in fact it was so difficult that the decision was made to award two scholarships for 2019. The committee determined that Ms. Lambert's application effectively conveyed her desire for a more in-depth learning experience at an intermediate (or above) level. Vicky will be attending "Establishing Genealogical Proof with DNA."

A graduate of the Boston University (BU) genealogical program, Vicky is seeking the following in her first institute experience:



  • The technical learning experience to build my knowledge base and hone my abilities in research, writing, and establishing genealogical proofs. 
  • I am looking forward to meeting and networking with fellow genealogists, and especially those whose work I have read, and the teachers I have had at BU. Becoming part of the circle of genealogists means getting out and meeting people, helping each other, and learning from each other. We cannot stay in our bubbles at home or in our archives; personally I need to engage and build my new world. As I mentioned in my essay, one of my goals in networking is to understand how others found and/or developed their niche specialization. 
  • A bit harder to describe as it is fairly intangible, is the process of becoming part of the genealogical research community. This goes beyond networking and joining associations: it is the “how” of how the genealogical industry and world works, the culture, norms, etiquette, do’s and don’ts, and tribal knowledge. Akin to what we learn as we grow up, I want to become normed so I can be a reliable and contributing member of our profession and industry. The BU program’s module on professional genealogy started the process for me, but it quickly became obvious that interacting with professionals is the best way to become part of the team.

Congratulations to Vicky and we look forward to seeing her in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment