Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

REGISTER NOW FOR THE AMERICAN RESEARCH AND RECORDS COURSE WITH PAULA STUART-WARREN


Please join me in Course 1, American Research and Records: Focus on Families. I would like to share a little bit about me and am looking forward to learning more about the 2014 SLIG students.

One of the ways I began my research pursuits was visiting the state archives here in Minnesota and devouring the info in finding aids. Then I began ordering boxes of original records and some were not to research my own family, but were for expanding my knowledge. I wish more people would visit archives, courthouses, library special collections and other places to research in the billions of pieces of paper that are not microfilmed or digitized. It’s such a rewarding experience.

One of the most rewarding things about being a genealogical educator is sharing that knowledge with others. I get to experience joy when students and readers report back on what they found or how I helped them solve a brick wall issue. I love problem solving and I hope that shows during the one-on-one consultations that are part of the intermediate American Records course at SLIG.

Two of the big advantages for attending SLIG are the instructors and the accessibility to the Family History Library. The instructors represent many years of experience and knowledge in a myriad of areas. I love being able to instruct about a particular time period, technique, or set of records and telling the students to go to the FHL right after classes and put that info to immediate use.

The camaraderie and friendships that develop out of SLIG are phenomenal. I love chatting with other instructors and I still keep in contact with students from as long ago as the second year of SLIG.

There are still some seats open in Course 1. Sign up today and be a part of a fantastic group of students who will be learning great things, making new friends, and having fun, too. We are not serious every moment and there is time for sharing your knowledge and your research issues, too. Check here http://www.infouga.org/aem.php?lv=r&eid=8 to see the course titles, instructors, and the consultants. They are all wonderful educators, too.

See you in January in Salt Lake City!

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment